Just look at that golden flaky crust. Can you believe this is paleo? Inside this pretty pocket of dough hides a savory and spiced meat filling. This paleo empanada is perfection. It’s also ridiculously easy to make.
If you can make my 3-ingredient paleo naan, then you can make this. Remember when I told you that my naan batter was magical? These paleo empanadas are proof of that. It turns out that when you bake my naan, it turns into something pastry like (if you want to fry them in oil, I bet they’d be super tasty too). These empanadas are crispy and flaky and insanely delicious.
So let me tell you how to make them. First, make the paleo naan batter by combining tapioca flour, almond flour and canned coconut milk. Then pour ¼ cup of batter onto a frying pan at medium heat. Let it cook until you can easily move the flat bread from your frying pan onto a baking sheet. Don’t worry if your naan isn’t totally cooked inside; it will cook in the oven. Doing this should make you six empanadas.
Then add a spoonful of your filling onto the flat bread. Put some egg wash on the edges and fold the bread closed – creating your empanada. Brush some egg wash on top and put it in the oven at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until slightly crispy on top. (Ghee or another oil will work too). You can watch my mini-pie tutorial video on Youtube to get a better idea of how to handle the dough.
I filled my empanadas with some delicious spiced meat but you can fill yours with whatever your heart desires. Try this with something sweet or fill it with cheese if you’re primal vs. paleo. If you’re looking something savory then I definitely suggest this meaty filling because it’s just so good. I made it by combining ground beef and chorizo with some onion, garlic and spices. It’s awesome enough to eat on its own but even tastier packed inside this empanada crust.
Add a little paleo hot sauce – in my case cholula and enjoy this meaty pocket of goodness. Make this when you have a party – you’ll impress all your guests. You know your friends who say, “what you can even eat now?” Well make this for them
My husband told me that if I made him empanadas every day, he’d follow paleo for life. He used a few words to describe these – in between bites: “fantastic,” “superb,” “wow.” Here is how I’d describe these paleo empanadas: insanely delicious.
After you make these, have my Paleo Apple Turnovers for dessert!
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound chorizo or spicy ground pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- egg wash
- Add oil and onions to saute pan on medium heat.
- When onions turn translucent, add garlic, jalapeno and spices.
- After a minute, add meat and combine well. Once it is fully cooked, set aside for now.
- In a bowl combine almond flour, tapioca flour, and coconut milk to form a batter.
- Ladle ¼ cup of the batter onto a frying pan on medium heat and allow the flat bread to cook until the bottom firms slightly, then remove and place on a baking sheet.
- Spoon meat mixture in the middle of the bread and then pinch the dough closed.
- Brush egg wash on empanada and repeat about five more times.
- Place baking sheet in oven at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until crispy outside.