This tamarind chicken curry is spicy, sweet, and tangy! You can make this simple recipe in an instant pot or in a slow cooker – your choice!
If you love my butter chicken recipe, you’ll love this tamarind chicken curry too 🙂Print
- 1 pound skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch ginger, minced
- 2 Thai bird chilies or 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 1 sprig curry leaves (approx 10–15 leaves)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 ½ teaspoons sugar, optional
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika or Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon fennel powder
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- Cilantro, garnish
Instant Pot Directions:
- Add all of the ingredients to the instant pot.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 5 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure (or wait 10 minutes, then release pressure).
- Cut or shred the chicken in the pot using kitchen shears or two forks.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Put all ingredients in slow cooker except for the coconut milk.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is done, then add coconut milk and cook on low for another hour.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.