Fall is my favorite food season! I love spending time in the kitchen cooking up hearty meals. I love that I don’t have to worry about the oven heating up the house – in fact, that’s a bonus for this time of year. And most of all, I love the way fall food warms you up from the inside out. This Paleo Chicken Pot Pie Casserole will do exactly that.
The filling is really rich, thick, creamy and flavorful. And the easy-to-make 3-ingredient gluten-free casserole crust is golden, flaky and crispy when baked.
In the photo below, you can see that I cut a few pieces of flatbread in half to better cover my casserole dish.
As the dish bakes in the oven, the bottom of the bread will stay soft, but the top will become nice and crisp! The longer you bake it, the crispier and flakier the crust will become – just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn. See how the pot pie filling practically bubbles overtop of the crust?! SO GOOD.
This “recipe” is really more of an “assembly.” There are two steps to it:
- Make the filling (it’s actually the same recipe as my Chicken Pot Pie Soup!)
- Make one batch of 3-ingredient Paleo Naan or Coconut Flour Naan
I tend to prefer my coconut flour flatbread but either naan works!
Once you do those two things, just assemble the casserole! I can’t wait to hear what you think of the recipe 🙂Print
- 1 batch 3-ingredient Paleo Flatbread or Coconut Flour Naan found in my eBook (you can slightly undercook this if you want as it will be going into the oven)
Chicken Pot Pie Filling:
- 3 cups cooked chicken, white and dark meat (I used a whole chicken – see directions below for details)
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee or fat of choice
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound peeled potatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 pound peeled potatoes, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne, optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Melt the butter in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Next, add the 1 pound of roughly chopped potatoes and chicken broth to the pot. Bring the broth to a boil then cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop the potatoes into a blender. Add the coconut milk to the blender and puree. Set aside for now.
- Add the remaining cup of diced potatoes and the carrots to the pan (the carrots and potatoes should be about the same size).
- Bring the broth to a boil, cover with a lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 9-10 minutes, or until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
- Add the celery, peas, spices, cooked chicken and pureed potatoes to the pan and mix well.
- Raise the heat to medium low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour the desired amount of filling into a casserole dish.
- Layer the 3-ingredient Paleo Flatbread on top of the casserole dish.
- Bake at 400F for 20-30 minutes or until the top of the crust is as crisp as you’d like it to be. (You can bake it longer for a crispier crust, just keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn).