This Slow Cooker Spicy Indian Beef Roast recipe is my take on a very popular beef dish served in Kerala (Kerala Beef Fry). It’s flavorful and spicy – made with curry leaves and frozen coconut slices (which can easily be found at any Indian grocery store).
Beef is a popular protein among Christians in India, especially in Kerala, a south Indian state located off the Malabar coast. I’m a huge fan of Keralite Indian food – which is very different than the north Indian food I grew up eating (i.e. butter chicken). You won’t be able to find Keralite Indian food in most restaurants so if you want a bite of this incredibly delicious cuisine, you’re gonna have to make it at home. If you plan on making this roast, put my Indian Ground Beef Curry on your menu too. It’s fantastic.
If you don’t eat beef – you can make this recipe with goat meat, lamb, pork – whatever protein you prefer. I’m sure it’ll be delicious.
As I mentioned above, this Indian beef roast recipe is inspired by Kerala Beef Fry – also known as Erachi Ularthiyathu (don’t worry, I can’t say it either). I’ve already shared a recipe for Kerala Beef Fry – it was one of the first posts on my blog. While the original dish is extremely tasty, it’s also complicated unless you have an old-school whistling pressure cooker. I wanted to make things simple, so I re-made the dish using my slow cooker and it turned out fantastic! It’s just as authentic in flavor as my original version.
This dish has the same flavors as Kerala Beef Fry – but it’s SO much easier to make. I use my homemade meat masala in this dish – it’s a great spice mix to keep around the kitchen. I use it in a lot of my south Indian recipes – but you can also sprinkle some on any protein for a quick and flavorful meal.
As for the rest of the ingredients, you can easily find them on Amazon – even the curry leaves. You can use these unsweetened coconut flakes in the dish, but I suggest going to your local Indian grocery store to buy thick slices of frozen coconut.
This dish is so easy to make and so full of flavor. Serve this on top of a salad or with some paleo naan.
Slow Cooker Spicy Indian Beef Roast
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ pounds grassfed beef roast (chuck blade)
- 25 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced or grated
- 1 ½ inch ginger, minced or grated
- 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon meat masala
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
- ¼ cup coconut slices
- In a crockpot, add the red onions, coconut oil, mustard seeds, and salt. Cook on high for 1 hour while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the coconut slices. Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Shred the meat and add the coconut slices. Cook on high for 1 hour then serve.
You can add all of the ingredients in at once – I just like breaking it up the way I have written out here because I think it helps bring out more flavor. Do what you want, it’ll still be good.