I can’t get enough of these spiced beef and sage stuffed apples! They are seriously what fall dreams are made of: sweet apples, slightly tart cranberries and delicious warming spices.
These little baked apples may look fancy, but they’re surprisingly easy to make. You’ll need a melon baller to scoop and hollow out the apple halves – trust me, this will take no time at all. Once that’s done, just fill them up with my spiced ground beef filling and stick them in the oven.
These stuffed apples make for the perfect fall party appetizer – or you can enjoy them as a meal. This dish is simple enough to make on a weeknight!
You will love the different textures and flavors in this dish. The cranberries have a slight chew to them. The walnuts develop a perfectly toasty flavor in the oven. The apples are so sweet and tender. The celery adds a little crunch. And the ground beef is perfectly seasoned.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s delicious, healthy and affordable. I bought organic apples, organic celery, organic walnuts, grass fed ground beef and even organic spices from ALDI to make this savory and sweet app/snack/meal.
Did you see my Instagram post about finding organic spices at my local ALDI? I’ve mentioned my love for their store on many occasions – it makes me so happy to see them continue to expand their organic/healthy options. I hope you’ve bookmarked my real food shopping guide at ALDI blog post – I keep updating it with my new finds!
If you want to make this dish for a more casual event – like a football party or for tailgating – just chop up the apples and add them directly to the ground beef mixture. If you go this route, I suggest toasting the walnuts in the oven separately. The toasty flavor really adds a lot to the dish.
If you make these even once during apple season, I’m sure you’ll make them again!
- 6 Apples, halved and hollowed out using a melon baller
Savory Ground Beef Filling:
- 2 tablespoons SimplyNature Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound SimplyNature Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef
- 2 teaspoons SimplyNature Organic Garlic Granules
- 1 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Salt
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon SimplyNature Organic Cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon SimplyNature Organic Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Ground Black Pepper
- ⅓ cup Southern Grove Cranberries
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- ½ cup SimplyNature Organic Walnuts Halves and Pieces, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add the oil and onions to a sauté pan or dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, or until the onions have softened.
- Next, add the ground beef and spices and cook until browned.
- Turn off the heat.
- Stir in the cranberries, celery, walnuts and sage.
- Spoon the mixture into the hollowed apple halves and bake at 350F for 25 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: Thanks ALDI for sponsoring this post! I love that you carry so many gluten-free options for me & my readers!