In just 10 minutes, you can have a fancy fish dish on the dinner table! This recipe for Tandoori Salmon is simple enough to make on a weeknight and impressive enough to serve weekend dinner guests.
This tandoori salmon couldn’t be easier to make! You mix several spices with a little mustard oil and smear it on top of the salmon, and bake. 10 minutes later, you’ll have a beautiful and flavorful flaky fish.
What’s mustard oil?
If you’ve never tried mustard oil before, it’s a unique and pungent oil often used in Indian cooking. It has a nutty aroma and tastes kind of similar to wasabi/horseradish. You can find mustard oil on amazon or at any Indian grocery store. It’s a flavorful oil that I use in moderation – a little goes a long way.
Can I use a tandoori spice mix instead of using individual spices?
Yes, you can, but if you know me, you know I almost always prefer using individual spices. That’s because I feel like they’re fresher and more flavorful. Also, by following my recipe, you can be sure that the flavor will be the way it should, whereas spice mixes vary. If you have a blend, you love though, feel free to use it.
You can serve this spiced salmon on top of a salad for a light meal or with some basmati rice and roasted vegetables for something a bit more substantial.
- 1 pound wild-caught Salmon
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Combine spices in a bowl and mix well. Add the mustard oil to create a paste.
- Rub the paste onto the salmon using your fingers.
- Put the salmon on the baking sheet (skin-side down), then put it in the oven.
- Bake for 4-6 minutes per half-inch thickness (I typically roast for 10 minutes total).
- The fish is done when flaky.