I have been on a Thai food kick lately. Did you see my awesome Paleo Drunken Noodles recipe? I think it’s the cooler weather that’s making me crave warm and spicy food.
This Thai Pumpkin Chicken Curry perfectly captures my favorite season and one of my favorite cuisines. If a season and a cuisine could have a baby… this dish would be the result of fall + Thai food.
I have always loved Thai food. I think because it’s similar to Indian food in some ways. Both cuisines use a lot of garlic, ginger and chilies. Many Keralite dishes call for coconut milk too. Coconut milk is one of the ingredients I use most – I keep several cans of it in my pantry at all times. If we ever lose power for days and can’t go to the market, we won’t go hungry. Hey, it’s always good to think ahead.
Like any curry, you need to start this dish by creating your base. In this case, cook your onions, Thai bird’s eye chilies, ginger and garlic. Then add your spices and curry paste. Once you’ve given your spices a minute to bloom on the pan, add your cubed chicken and make sure it gets well coated with your spice mixture. This will give the meat some color and flavor. Add your bell pepper and Thai basil then pour in the pumpkin puree, coconut milk and fish sauce. Simmer it for 15 or so minutes until the chicken is done, add some lime juice and viola, you’ve got yourself a spicy pumpkin chicken curry – Thai style.
You can serve this over cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash. In the fall, we love eating curry over spaghetti squash because it adds a bit of crunch to the dish.Print
- 1 lb chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 can coconut milk, full fat
- 1 can organic pumpkin puree (15 oz)
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2–3 Thai bird’s eye chilies, slit but keep in tact
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs red curry paste
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 1 giant handful of Thai basil, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper
- ½ small lime, juice
- coconut sugar, optional
- Heat coconut oil in a pan on medium heat then add onion, thai bird chilies and a pinch of salt.
- Once onion begins to turn golden, add ginger and garlic.
- After a couple minutes, add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, pepper and curry paste.
- Add cubed chicken to the pan and stir to coat the meat with the spices. This will give the chicken some color and flavor.
- Throw in the bell pepper and Thai basil, give it a quick stir and then pour the coconut milk and canned pumpkin. Add fish sauce.
- Reduce heat and simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Stir in the lime juice and add a little coconut sugar if needed – then serve.