Now this is a true Texas Beef Chili.
No, I’m not from Texas nor am I a chili connoisseur (that’s a thing, right?)… BUT this recipe is from my sweet friend Jennifer, who’s a true southern gal and knows her stuff. This flavorful and comforting Texas Slow Cooker Beef Chili is from her new cookbook, Down South Paleo.
I have to tell you how much Roby and I loved this meaty meal! It’s a hearty chili that’s packed with ground beef, fresh vegetables and savory spices. It’s definitely a family-friendly dish. Don’t worry, the chili isn’t spicy – unless you add the jalapeños (which were a must for my spicy food loving husband). You can make this recipe in a slow cooker, but if you’re impatient like me and own an Instant Pot (an electronic pressure cooker), then by all means use that! I’ll include directions for both methods below. Also, if you’re wondering where to find gluten-free worcestershire sauce, you can try this brand. Make sure that it says “gluten-free” on the back. You should be able to find it in most grocery stores – I found it at Whole Foods.
Okay, now back to this lovely book! The recipes are so creative and unique. And the book’s concept? Oh my heavens, brilliant! Who doesn’t love soul food, Tex-Mex and Cajun cooking?! With recipes like pecan waffles, fried chicken, blueberry brisket, stuffed poblano peppers, churro doughnut holes, and tres leches cake – there’s no doubt that Down South Paleo will become a favorite in your kitchen!
- 1 lb grass-fed organic beef
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, chopped small
- 26 oz finely chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of cumin
- Dairy-free sour cream
- Diced onions
- Sliced jalapenos
- Place the ground beef in a medium-size skillet over high heat and brown, stirring, until no longer pink. Spoon it into your slow cooker, including the fat. Now place the green bell pepper, onion, carrots and tomatoes into the slow cooker. Stir all the ingredients well, then add the remaining spices and seasonings. Stir once more, cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 5 hours. Top with dairy-free sour cream if desired, additional diced onions or jalapeños.
- Press the “Sauté” button on the Instant Pot, and add the ground beef to the pot and cook until brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix well, then cover and lock the lid. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button on the Instant Pot, then press the “Meat/Stew” button to begin the pressure cooking. It will automatically be set for 35 minutes. Make sure the steam valve is closed.
- Once the chili is done, the Instant Pot will automatically switch to the “Keep Warm” mode. Allow the pressure to release naturally or use the quick release.
Looking for more Instant Pot Recipes? Try these:
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Instant Pot Saag
Instant Pot Carne Guisada
Instant Pot Habanero Chili
Instant Pot Dal Makhani
Goat Curry in a Hurry
Instant Pot Ground Lamb Curry
Instant Pot Butter Chicken