Before I get to the recipe – I have to share some exciting news!!
My new Indian Instant Pot Cookbook is now available!!
Move over ground beef. Ground lamb is stealing the show today.
This ground lamb curry is made with Indian spices like ginger, coriander, cumin, turmeric and meat masala. It’s a little spicy but the tomatoes help balance the heat by adding a little sweetness. The potatoes, peas and carrots help make this a hearty dish. And the great thing about cooking this in the Instant Pot is that it helps marry the flavors together in a little over half an hour vs. cooking it all day in a slow cooker. Though I do actually have a slow cooker version of the recipe if that’s what you’d rather use.
I love lamb. It has a sweet flavor to it that ground beef just doesn’t have. And as much as I love the ease of cooking with ground beef – it can get kind of… boring. That’s when I opt for ground lamb (or goat, or chicken, or pork, etc).
A lot of people seem to think that lamb tastes gamey or has a smell to it but I have to tell you, I’ve never noticed either of those things. I think people often confuse lamb with mutton – mutton is an older sheep and does have a stronger flavor. I find lamb to be sweeter and milder than ground beef and I most definitely prefer it so if you get the chance, try it! Not sure if you already know this but lamb is actually the second most popular protein in the world (after goat meat) but it’s obviously not as popular as beef here in America. I’m pretty sure that if you try this curry though, you’ll start loving lamb as much as I do.
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, minced
- 1-2 Serrano peppers, minced (according to heat preference)
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon homemade meat masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne, adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 cup frozen peas, rinsed
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Cilantro, garnish
- Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot, add the ghee and onions. Cook until the onions begin to brown.
- Add the ginger, garlic and serrano pepper. Stir-fry for a minute, then add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, or until they begin to break down.
- Add the spices, stir-fry for a minute, then add the ground lamb. Cook until the meat is fully browned.
- Add the peas, carrots, potatoes and tomato sauce to the pot and mix well.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 30 minutes at high pressure.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally if possible, otherwise quick release is also fine for this recipe.
Looking for more Instant Pot Recipes? Try these:
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Instant Pot Saag
Instant Pot Carne Guisada
Instant Pot Habanero Chili
Instant Pot Dal Makhani
Goat Curry in a Hurry
Instant Pot Texas Beef Chili
Instant Pot Butter Chicken