Carne Guisada = Mexican Beef Stew
Most of us have heard of carne asada (translation: grilled meat), but how many have heard of carne guisada? If you haven’t tried the latter, you’ve been missing out. Carne guisada is an absolutely delicious traditional Mexican beef stew. Guisada just means “stewed meat in gravy” and that’s exactly what this dish is. There are different ways to make the gravy – you can add bell peppers or potatoes to the dish. Personally, I prefer to keep it simple – just tender meat and flavorful gravy. If you like beef stew and you like Latin flavor, then you will most definitely like this recipe for carne guisada.
Why use a pressure cooker?
Carne guisada is typically a slow-simmered stew that can take hours to make, but I’ve been able to recreate the dish using my new pressure cooker, Instant Pot.
Those of you who have been following me for awhile know that I had been coveting this pressure cooker for nearly a year before I bought it. It went on sale over the holidays (I bought it for about $115 – it’s only $134 right now!) and I’ve been using it several times a week ever since. It’s one of the best kitchen investments I’ve made – it can do so many things.
You can definitely make this dish in a stovetop pressure cooker or a slow cooker, but you’ll have to adjust the cooking method. For the slow cooker, just cook until the meat is tender (estimate: ~6 hours).
Thicken the stew:
Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking your meal, you’ll see that the stew is a bit thin. You’ll want to ladle out the liquid into a bowl and whisk a tablespoon of potato starch into the stew. I’m sure potato flour will work too. Different thickeners require different steps, so make sure to use them correctly. For example, if you use arrowroot or tapioca flour, you’ll want to mix it well with cold water and then pour that into the stew. Regardless, once it’s well mixed, just pour the thick slurry back into the Instant Pot and mix well to thicken the whole stew.
We’ve enjoyed eating carne guisada over cauliflower-rice and also on top of paleo tortillas, served with avocado slices and fresh salsa. I think the carne guisada tacos are my favorite… way better than the carne asada fajita-type meat you’re probably used to eating at Mexican restaurants. If you like spicy food, serve the carne guisada with thin slices of Serrano pepper on top!Print
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or fat of choice
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Serrano peppers, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup beef broth or chicken stock
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon potato starch or thickener of choice
- Press the “Sauté” button on the Instant Pot, and add the oil and beef cubes to the pot. Sear the meat on all sides.
- Once the meat has browned , add the onion, garlic, serrano pepper, bay leaf and spices. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the beef broth and tomato sauce, then cover and lock the lid. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button on the Instant Pot, then press the “Meat/Stew” button to begin the pressure cooking. It will automatically be set for 35 minutes. Make sure the steam valve is closed.
- Once the stew is done, the Instant Pot will automatically switch to the “Keep Warm” mode. Allow the pressure to release naturally or use the quick release if you’re HANGRY. 😉
- Unlock the lid, ladle out some liquid into a bowl and combine it with the potato flour. Mix well and then add this thick slurry back into the pot, and stir-well.
- Serve over cauli-rice, or in a tortilla!
Different thickeners require different steps, so make sure to use them correctly. For example, if you use arrowroot or tapioca flour, you’ll want to mix it well with cold water and then pour that into the hot stew.
To make in a slow cooker: Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Looking for more Instant Pot Recipes? Try these:
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Instant Pot Taco Meat
Instant Pot Saag
Instant Pot Habanero Chili
Instant Pot Dal Makhani
Goat Curry in a Hurry
Instant Pot Texas Beef Chili
Instant Pot Ground Lamb Curry
Instant Pot Butter Chicken