Keema is one of my favorite Indian recipes because of how very easy it is to make. I have a recipe for it in my Paleo Indian eBook, but I decided to adapt the dish to be Instant Pot friendly.
If you’ve never had keema before – it kind of reminds me of Indian spaghetti sauce, only with less tomatoes and way more flavor. Oh, and peas.
Am I crazy for making that comparison? Someone tell me that you agree with me…?
The great thing about keema is that you can make it with any type of ground meat: lamb, goat, beef, turkey, etc. It’s delicious when served over rice or when eaten with a side of my paleo naan. You can even use it as a filling for my paleo samosas or my paleo paranthas!
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Serrano pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups peas
- Cilantro, optional for garnish
- Add the ghee and onions to the Instant Pot.
- Press the “Sauté” button on the Instant Pot and saute for 8-10 minutes, or until the onions begin to brown.
- Next, add the ginger, garlic, serrano pepper and spices to the pot. Saute for 30 seconds, then add the ground beef. Cook until the beef is mostly brown.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and peas.
- Cover and lock the lid. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button on the Instant Pot, then press the “Bean/Chili” button to begin the pressure cooking. It will automatically be set for 30 minutes. Make sure the steam valve is closed.
- Once the meat is done, the Instant Pot will automatically switch to the “Keep Warm” mode. Allow the pressure to release naturally or use the quick release.
- Open the pot and if the meat released a lot of liquid, press the “Saute” button to boil off any extra liquid. This may take 10-15 minutes, depending on how much liquid the meat released.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.