This freezing cold weather has me craving all sorts of comfort food lately. And today’s recipe just so happens to be the coziest breakfast dish of them all: paleo sausage gravy and biscuits.
This is the ultimate comfort food breakfast dish: hot biscuits smothered in a creamy and delicious sausage gravy.
Not only is this recipe gluten-free, dairy-free and paleo-friendly, it’s also super simple to make! You can make the gravy in just minutes on the stovetop while the biscuits bake in the oven. And the biscuits are really easy to make too – they’re my popular 4-ingredient biscuits. This is a meal that you can make at the last minute on a weekend morning as long as you’ve got all of the ingredients handy of course.
Before we moved to Pittsburgh, Roby and I lived in Morgantown, West Virginia for a few years. There was a diner near our house that we’d go to occasionally, mainly because Roby loved eating their buttermilk biscuits smothered in sausage gravy. Unfortunately, the only thing on their entire menu that I could eat: eggs. And while eggs are good, they don’t really hold a candle to biscuits and gravy.
Now I can eat biscuits and gravy as much as I want to and as often as I’d like. This meal is darn delicious. My husband loves this gravy too – and that’s coming from a guy who has had the real thing many times before.
One thing I will say is to manage your expectations when it comes to my the coconut flour biscuits. They are really tasty but they do not taste like buttermilk biscuits (because they are made out of dried coconut meat…) BUT they are really buttery and crumbly and good. If you’ve been following a paleo diet then you will love the biscuits! If you’ve never tried a coconut flour biscuit before, then well… you may not.
If biscuits aren’t your thing (is not liking biscuits a thing?) then you can serve this sausage gravy over fried potatoes or sweet potatoes – or even a slice of your favorite toasted bread. Think of this gravy as magic sauce that’ll taste good over pretty much anything.
I know there’s quite a bit of coconut in this recipe: the biscuits call for coconut flour and the gravy calls for coconut milk. BUT trust me, you won’t be able to taste any coconut.
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 (14 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1– 2 tablespoons tapioca flour, depending on desired thickness of gravy
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- Add the breakfast sausage to a dutch oven over medium heat and cook until browned, adding a little oil if needed.
- Once the meat is browned, add the tapioca flour (1 tablespoon at a time) and mix until well combined. You will notice after a minute or so that the mixture has started to thicken.
- Add the spices, stir, then add the coconut milk and mix until well combined. Cover with a lid and simmer on low heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve the gravy over my coconut flour biscuits or over fried potatoes or a slice of your favorite bread.