Let’s be real here, this isn’t so much a recipe as it is a post about how and why to prepare chicken in advance. I’m sharing directions on how to make shredded chicken in an Instant Pot (an electronic pressure cooker) but you can just as easily use your slow cooker to make this too! I just happen to prefer my Instant Pot because it’s much faster to use (and I love it)!
Why should you make shredded chicken? Having pre-made chicken on hand will save you so much time! And, you’ll have a healthy protein readily available for when hunger strikes.
This chicken is great for sandwiches, salads, tacos or a last minute stir-fry. I usually add some chipotle mayo to a bit of shredded chicken, mix it up and make a chicken salad sandwich for Roby (my hubby) to take with him to work. You could also add barbecue sauce for easy bbq pulled chicken. Or stuff some sweet potatoes with shredded chicken. Or… I feel like the ideas on how to use shredded chicken are practically endless.
Once the chicken is done cooking, I divide it up into smaller portions and put most of it in the freezer. That way I can thaw only what I need. Oh also, when you make this, don’t skip the part where I tell you to add some water or chicken broth to the Instant Pot (or crockpot). You’ll want to do this so that the meat doesn’t dry out. I also add the broth to the containers with cooked chicken to help keep it moist.
What do you think you’ll make once you have this shredded chicken all ready to go?
- 4 pounds chicken breast
- ½ cup water or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Press the “poultry” button then add 5 minutes to cook the chicken for a total of 20 minutes.
- Once the pressure cooking time has finished, carefully turn the valve from "sealing" to "venting" to quick pressure release. (This will allow the steam to escape and you'll be able to open the lid sooner than waiting for natural release).
- Place the chicken onto a plate or cutting board and use two forks to shred.
- Store the chicken in an air-tight container with the liquid to help keep the meat moist.
- *If using a slow cooker, cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the chicken is done.
I usually divide the chicken into small air-tight storage containers and keep them in the freezer for longer term storage.
Looking for more Instant Pot Recipes? Try these:
Instant Pot Saag
Instant Pot Carne Guisada
Instant Pot Habanero Chili
Instant Pot Dal Makhani
Goat Curry in a Hurry
Instant Pot Texas Beef Chili
Instant Pot Ground Lamb Curry
Instant Pot Butter Chicken