Who doesn’t love barbecue? Juicy, slow-cooked meat smothered with sauce… oh it’s so good. Well, all you barbecue lovers are in for a treat because this Indian-Style Pulled Pork is going to be unlike any barbecued pulled pork you’ve had before. Like all great barbecue, the secret is in the sauce.
This tender, slow-cooked meat is covered with a thick tomato-based sauce prepared using Indian spices and sweetened with honey. To make the sauce, you have to first caramelize the onions – get them realllly nice and brown. This will add so much flavor and will create the base for the spiced tomato sauce. This recipe also calls for my homemade meat masala, made with cardamom, cloves, fennel seeds, cinnamon and black pepper. Trust me, after you make a jar of this spice, you’ll use it ALL the time.
I made this pulled pork in my slow cooker – because I don’t own a smoker or a smoke pit and turning on my oven for hours in this heat just wasn’t going to happen. I put the pork shoulder roast in the slow cooker and seasoned it well with salt, pepper and a bit of turmeric. Once my sauce was done, I poured it all over the roast. A few hours later, I found myself with plenty of perfectly cooked, pullable pork.
Make this, love this and impress your friends this summer (or any season) with delicious and different barbecued pork.
Want more tasty Indian recipes? Then check out my eBook: South Asian Persuasion: 100+ Paleo Indian Recipes.Print
Season the Roast
- 3lb Pork shoulder roast
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- ½ tsp Turmeric
Spiced Tomato Sauce:
- Rinse meat – then dry it with a paper towel.
- Put the pork in the crock pot and season both sides with salt, pepper and turmeric – let it sit while you prepare the sauce.
- Heat 2 tbs ghee in a pan and add red onions. Once the onions turn brown (realllly brown), add ginger, garlic, and the spices. Stir for a few minutes.
- Add the can of tomato sauce. Stir for about 5 minutes and then stir in the honey.
- Add ½ cup water to the sauce and then dump the sauce on top of the pork in the crockpot.
- Cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 6-8 hours).