Whenever I make this slow cooker goat curry, I make sure to relish each and every bite of it. It disappears quickly around here. The sauce is full of flavor and the meat, when cooked slow, becomes perfectly tender and juicy.
If you haven’t had goat meat before, you’re in for a treat. Goat meat is very popular in North India; it’s more popular than lamb or beef. My parents were both born in North India and they ate goat meat once a week – but neither of them tried lamb until they moved to the states. Growing up, my mom cooked goat meat very often at our house. Unfortunately, I missed out on too many of those tasty meals. When I was younger, I’d turn my nose up at anything other than chicken breast. Oh, how times have changed (for the better). If you’ve never eaten goat meat, I encourage you to give it a try. It’s fairly similar to lamb or beef and when cooked properly, it’s fantastic.
When you make this goat curry recipe, add all of the ingredients listed below to your crock pot except for the tomatoes, water and the garam masala. You’ll add these three things an hour before serving. The reason you don’t want to add water in the beginning is because you want the onions to caramelize in the crock pot. It’ll make for a more tasty masala. Set the slow cooker on high for four hours, stirring every hour or so just to make sure nothing burns. After four hours, you’ll add the final ingredients and let it all stew together for another hour or until the meat is falling apart. Make paleo naan or paleo roti to help you scoop up this deliciously spiced, melt-in-your-mouth goat meat curry.
If you’re feeling adventurous, give this a try. Trust me, your taste buds will thank you.
For those who already eat and enjoy goat meat, I’d love it if you’d leave a comment letting others know why you like goat meat
- 2lbs goat meat
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1.5 inch ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbs Grassfed Organic Ghee
- 4 Cloves (whole)
- 2 Cardamom Pods
- 1 tbs Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder (if using cayenne use a little less)
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1-2 serrano pepper, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 28 oz can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp Garam Masala, add more to taste
- In a coffee grinder, finely grind cloves and cardamom.
- In crock pot, add all ingredients listed except tomatoes, water and garam masala (you will add this at the end).
- Set to high and cook for 4 hours - stirring the curry every hour or so.
- After four hours, add tomatoes, water and garam masala. Cook on high for another hour or until the meat is tender.
*I used goat stew meat because that's what I had, but other cuts with bone will also taste great. Typically we get a leg cut into pieces.