Rosemary garlic ground lamb and potatoes all in one skillet (or pot)!
Have you ever found yourself with ground lamb and no clue what to make with it? My usual go-to is some type of ground lamb curry but several weeks ago I found myself wanting something a little different. I happened to have fresh rosemary and fresh garlic at home and those three things obviously go well together so I decided to combine them to make this delicious skillet: rosemary garlic ground lamb and potatoes. And you guys, now I’m hooked – I can’t get enough of this dish! It has become a weekly staple because we all love it so much.
It’s perfect for any time of the day: breakfast, lunch or dinner. Or heck, all three. Maybe top it with a fried egg if you’re eating it in the morning. Serve it with some rice if you’re eating it for lunch/dinner. It’s hearty, filling and so, so flavorful. There’s a bit of a kick to it too – courtesy of the serrano pepper (don’t leave it out unless you must!).
I LOVE the combination of rosemary, garlic and lamb – the flavors go together perfectly. But have you noticed that you really only find this combo when making a “fancy” cut of lamb? Like lamb chops for example (see my broiled rosemary lamb chops or my rosemary balsamic lamb chops as proof, heh). Well, you don’t have to have a special occasion to enjoy this combo of flavors, especially when you’ve got ground lamb. Ground meat is an “everyday protein” and ground lamb is more accessible and more economical, especially when you compare the cost to other cuts. So treat yourself while staying within means!
If you love garlic, rosemary and lamb (who doesn’t) then I am sure you’ll love this recipe. Our favorite way to eat this dish is overtop basmati rice and with a side of greens. Or you could just eat a bowl of this by itself.Print
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 3 (russet) potatoes, cut into ½ to 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Serrano pepper, minced
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced rosemary (fresh)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Heat oil in a large skillet or a dutch oven/heavy bottomed pot over medium heat, then add the ground lamb, potatoes, onion and Serrano pepper and cook for 10 minutes. The meat should be fully browned.
- Add the garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Cover with a lid for 2-3 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Add the paprika and turmeric and mix well.
- You can peel the potatoes or leave them unpeeled. It’s delicious either way 🙂